Conference 5–9 August 2012
Exhibition 7–9 August 2012
Los Angeles Convention Center

How to Apply for a Visa

US Department of State Information About US Visas

If you are traveling to the United States for tourism or business for 90 days or less with a passport issued by one of the following countries, you may be eligible to visit the US without a visa:

Czech Republic
The Netherlands
New Zealand
San Marino
South Korea
United Kingdom

These countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers from these countries cannot work or study while in the US and cannot stay longer than 90 days or change their status to another category. Note that travelers entering the US via this program must have a machine-readable passport. For complete and updated information on requirements for this program, please see Visa Waiver Program.

Citizens of Canada, México, and Bermuda also do not need a visa to enter the US.

If you are traveling to the US with a passport issued by any other country, you must apply for a visa. Please read these procedures carefully:

1. To apply for a visa, you must have your own letter of invitation from SIGGRAPH 2012. You must register for SIGGRAPH 2012 before you can request or receive a letter of invitation.

Registration Information

When you register for the conference from outside the United States, and your country DOES NOT participate in the Visa Waiver Program (see list above), SIGGRAPH 2012 will provide a letter of invitation with your registration materials. This letter can normally be downloaded from the Registration Resource Center.

Please contact the SIGGRAPH 2012 International Resources Co-Chairs if you have questions about the visa-invitation procedure. See paragraphs 2 and 3 below for further instructions.

2. After you receive the letter of invitation, call your local US Embassy or Consulate to arrange an interview. For information on the embassy or consulate closest to you, see Links to United States Embassies and Consulates Worldwide. Recommendation: visit the embassy or consulate a month before you begin the visa process, to obtain literature, forms, etc.

3. When you go to the embassy or consulate for your interview, you will be asked to pay a nonrefundable application fee and submit:

  • Your letter of invitation to attend SIGGRAPH 2012.
  • A signed, completed application. The application form is available at all embassies and consulates for no charge.
  • A passport valid for travel to the US at least six months beyond your intended stay in the US.
  • Two photographs, 1.5 inches square (37 x 37 millimeters), showing your full face, without head covering, against a light background.

SIGGRAPH 2012 cannot assist you with the interview process, nor can anyone representing SIGGRAPH 2012 call the embassy or consulate on your behalf to provide support for granting a visa. As an applicant for a non-immigrant visa, you must convince the consular officer that you are:

  • Entering the US for pleasure.
  • That you plan to remain in the US for a specific, limited period.
  • That you have a residence outside the US as well as other binding ties (employment, family, home, bank account) that will ensure your return when you complete your visit to the US.
  • And that you have the funds to pay for your entire trip.

If you are denied a visitor visa, you may re-apply if there is new evidence to overcome the basis for the refusal. In the absence of new evidence, consular officers are not required to re-examine such cases.

Due to the fact that an application for a visa can be a lengthy process, SIGGRAPH 2012 recommends that you start your visa application process early: 90 to 120 days prior to the conference. If you have specific questions that are not covered here, please see US Department of State Visa Information or contact the SIGGRAPH 2012 International Resources Co-Chairs.